What Exactly is a Tummy Tuck and How Does it Work?
A tummy tuck is a surgical procedure that removes excess skin and fat from the abdomen and tightens the abdominal muscles. This creates a flatter, more toned stomach contour.
During a full tummy tuck, an incision is made horizontally between the belly button and pubic area. The surgeon tightens lax abdominal muscles and stitches them into a tighter position. Excess skin and fat are removed. Then the remaining skin is stretched taut and the belly button is repositioned if needed before closing the incisions.
This comprehensive approach flattens the stomach area, narrowing the waistline and enhancing the overall body silhouette.
What Are the Different Types of Tummy Tucks Offered?
There are a few techniques your Westchester County plastic surgeon may use:
- Full tummy tuck – The traditional technique described above. Best for significant fat deposits and loose, sagging skin.
- Mommy Makeover – A tailored set of procedures aimed at restoring a woman’s body post-pregnancy. Typically focuses on breast and abdomen contouring, with optional add-ons like liposuction or thigh lifts. Addresses issues like sagging breasts, loose abdominal skin, and more.
- Mini tummy tuck – A smaller incision and minimal muscle tightening. Reduces a pooch below the navel.
- Extended tummy tuck – Incision goes hip-to-hip for contouring the hips and flanks. Removes more excess skin.
- Fleur-de-lis tummy tuck – Removes hanging abdominal skin after major weight loss. Vertical and horizontal incisions in a fleur-de-lis pattern.
The best tummy tuck method for you depends on your unique goals and anatomical needs. A consultation helps determine this.
Who is a Good Candidate For a Tummy Tuck?
Ideal tummy tuck candidates include:
- Women and men who want to restore abdominal firmness after pregnancy or weight changes
- Those with excess or sagging abdominal skin that does not respond to diet and exercise
- Patients who want to achieve a flatter, tighter midsection following major weight loss
- People seeking improvement in abdominal contours for self-esteem or to fit into clothing better
What is the Tummy Tuck Procedure and Recovery Like?
Tummy tuck surgery is performed under general anesthesia as an outpatient procedure or with a short hospital stay. It takes 2-5 hours depending on the extent.
During recovery, swelling and bruising are common. Wearing a compression garment helps reduce swelling. Most people return to non-strenuous work within 2-3 weeks. More intensive activities can resume in 4-6 weeks.
Visible scarring is inevitable but most patients feel the aesthetic outcome is worth it. The scar can be concealed by underwear or swimwear.
Does a Tummy Tuck Require an Overnight Hospital Stay?
No, tummy tucks are performed as outpatient procedures. You will not need an overnight hospital stay. Our facility is fully accredited, ensuring your comfort and safety.
Where Do the Incisions Occur During a Tummy Tuck?
Incisions are often made horizontally between the pubic area and belly button. This location hides the scar when wearing underwear and swimsuits. Vertical incisions may also be made around the belly button to tighten the skin.