PRP hair restoration has emerged as an innovative way to stimulate natural hair growth without surgery. This treatment utilizes platelet-rich plasma (PRP) derived from the patient’s own blood to revitalize hair follicles and promote regrowth.
If you are considering PRP therapy for hair restoration in Westchester NY, this guide provides detailed information on how the treatment works, its benefits and risks, ideal candidates, the procedure itself, recovery time, expected results, and costs.
Read on to learn everything you need to know about PRP hair restoration from the experts at Bellava MedAesthetics.
What Exactly is PRP Hair Restoration and How Does it Work?
PRP hair restoration is a non-surgical, minimally invasive treatment that leverages the power of your own plasma to regrow hair. Here is a step-by-step overview of how it works:
- A small amount of blood, typically about 10-15mL, is drawn from your arm. This is similar to a routine blood test.
- The blood sample is placed in a centrifuge to separate the platelet-rich plasma from other components. This spinning process concentrates growth factors in the PRP.
- The PRP obtained is then carefully injected into thinning/balding areas of your scalp using strategic placement.
- Growth factors in PRP stimulate inactive hair follicles, improving blood flow and revitalizing the follicles to encourage new hair growth.
- PRP also strengthens existing hair strands, increasing their thickness and reducing breakage.
- Multiple treatments may be required depending on individual factors, but effects can last for years.
Over 3-6 months, you will notice a gradual increase in hair density and coverage. PRP provides an effective approach to restore hair without surgery.
What Are the Benefits of PRP Hair Restoration?
Some of the key advantages of PRP therapy for hair restoration include:
- It is a simple, non-invasive procedure with no major side effects. There is minimal downtime needed after treatment.
- Utilizes your body’s own healing mechanisms to stimulate growth. This makes it a natural solution.
- Results look natural as new hair seamlessly blends with existing hair.
- Improves hair density, thickness, and growth. Effects can last years with periodic maintenance.
- Suitable for both men and women experiencing mild to moderate hair loss.
- Safe for all hair types and skin tones.
- No risk of scarring or infections as seen with surgical options.
- Low risk of allergies since your own plasma is used.
For those seeking a convenient and non-surgical hair restoration option, PRP presents an effective and low-risk solution.
What Are the Potential Risks or Side Effects?
PRP therapy is considered very safe with minimal risks or side effects. Since your own plasma is used, chances of reactions or infections are extremely rare.
Some patients report mild discomfort during the procedure and temporary redness or swelling at injection sites. These side effects usually resolve within a day or two.
There is a small chance of excessive bleeding or bruising at draw and injection sites. Avoid blood thinners like aspirin before treatment to reduce this risk.
In very rare cases, patients may be allergic to the anticoagulant used to prepare the PRP. Discuss all medical history with your provider beforehand to avoid complications.
Overall, PRP hair restoration is well-tolerated with a low complication rate when performed by an experienced professional.