Know why more people are smoothing wrinkles with lip fillers.
Has a lifetime of smiling left you with bothersome wrinkles around your mouth? Do you wish your lips looked plumper and more like they were in your younger days?
Mouth wrinkles are a common complaint as we age. The good news is dermal fillers offer an effective aesthetic solution. Discover how these unique enhancements can restore those smiling glory days.
How Effective Are Fillers for Wrinkles Around the Mouth?
Dermal fillers have proven to be an effective treatment for wrinkles and volume loss around the mouth area. In studies, approximately 80% of FDA-approved lip filler patients report visible improvement in wrinkles and volume that enhances the shape and fullness of the lips.
Fillers Typically Used for Mouth Wrinkles
- Hyaluronic Acid Fillers
- Popular options like Juvederm and Restylane smoothly fill in and diminish the appearance of wrinkles around the mouth.
- Results with these fillers tend to last 6-12 months.
Considerations for Optimal Results
It’s important to select an experienced injector who will thoroughly evaluate your facial anatomy.
They can then best recommend the most suitable filler and treatment approach for your individual needs.
- Starting slowly with smaller amounts of filler is advisable to avoid an overly filled, unnatural look.
- Touch-up injections can always be done for further wrinkle reduction based on our experience.
Potential Side Effects
Swelling, bruising, lumpiness, infection, or allergic reaction are possible but generally mild and temporary when performed by an expert injector.
Contact Bellava MedAesthetics to learn how lip fillers can take years off your smile.
What Type of Filler for Lines Around the Mouth Is Best?
Softer hyaluronic acid fillers like Restylane Silk are best for fine lines around the lips, while firmer fillers like Juvederm work well for deeper folds like nasolabial lines.
Fillers for Fine Lines
- For subtle etching and fine lines around the lips, we recommend softer hyaluronic acid fillers.
- Options like Belotero, Restylane Silk, and Juvederm Volbella provide gentle volume to smooth out superficial lines.
- The lightweight gels hydrate and plump the delicate lip skin.
Fillers for Deeper Folds
- For deeper wrinkles like nasolabial folds and marionette lines, we use more structured hyaluronic acid fillers.
- Products like Restylane and Juvederm offer thicker gels that adequately lift and fill sunken areas.
- Results tend to last longer compared to softer fillers.
- For total rejuvenation, we may couple dermal fillers with:
- Botox injections relax muscles causing dynamic wrinkles.
- Autologous fat grafting for severely sunken areas, using the patient’s fat for natural-looking volume.
How Are Dermal Fillers Around the Mouth Administered?
At Bellava MedAesthetics, our injectors follow specialized techniques and protocols to carefully administer dermal fillers around the delicate mouth area.
- Thoroughly cleanse and map out planned injection sites, often marking locations for optimal placement.
- Use topical anesthetics, cold instruments, numbing creams, or local anesthetic injections to maximize patient comfort.
- Utilize approaches like linear threading, serial puncture, fanning, and cross-hatching based on the filler, area, and desired outcome.
- For lips and perioral area, may use intraoral technique through inside of the mouth to minimize swelling and distortion.
- Thinner, delicate fillers are chosen for fine lines.
- Thicker formulas are used to add volume.
- Inject small amounts of filler in a precise grid-like pattern with a thin needle or micro-cannula.
- Continually assess and refine until optimal correction is achieved.
- Gently massage after injecting to evenly distribute filler.
We recommend using ice packs, avoiding pressure and sun exposure, and resting from strenuous activity initially.
Are Lip Fillers For Wrinkles Suitable For All Skin Types?
Lip fillers for wrinkles are generally suitable for all skin types when properly injected, but individual factors like medical conditions should be evaluated.
Hyaluronic Acid Fillers
- Provide hydration and plumping suitable for delicate lip areas.
- Versatile formulas work well across skin tones when properly injected.
- Preferred over other synthetic fillers like Radiesse for the lips.
Proper Injection Technique
- Critical to avoid lumpiness, occlusion, and unevenness and minimize side effects.
- Highlights the importance of an experienced injector with specialized training.
- Some pre-existing conditions may preclude candidacy for any type of filler.
- A consultation evaluates individual anatomy, medical history, and goals.
Can Lines In Lips Filler Improve My Smile?
Lip fillers can improve one’s smile by adding subtle volume for fuller lips, softening vertical lines around the mouth, and balancing asymmetrical lips.
- First, subtle lip augmentation provides an enhanced backdrop to showcase the teeth. Slightly more volume and fullness draw attention to the smile, especially if your lips are naturally thin.
However, it’s crucial not to overfill or it can look unnatural. Our experienced injectors add just enough filler to make the lips look plump yet proportional.
- Second, injectable fillers effectively diminish vertical lip lines that can develop over time. Strategic placement along the upper and lower lip borders smoothes out these etched lines, often called smoker’s lines.
This restores a more youthful, wrinkle-free smile. The effects are natural when using a soft, flexible filler formula.
- Third, fillers can balance asymmetry for a more harmonious smile. If one lip is thinner or differently shaped, we can carefully inject filler to even out the proportions. With an expert touch, we shape the lips to mirror one another, framing the smile symmetrically.
How Do Fillers in Mouth Lines Differ From Other Fillers?
Mouth fillers have a softer gel, treat fine lines without volumizing, last about 6 months, and require specialized injection technique compared to firmer, volumizing fillers for cheeks that may last 12-18 months.
Take the time to read the table we prepared to know more:
|Mouth Area Fillers
|Other Facial Area Fillers
|Softer, flexible gels
|Subtly fill fine lines and wrinkles
|Restore volume lost in cheeks, chin etc. and fill lines
|Approximately 6 months or less
|Approximately 12-18 months
|Higher risk profile around delicate lip anatomy requires specialized training and technique
|Lower risk areas with less intricate anatomy
What Are Puppet Lines Around Mouth And How To Fill Them?
Puppet lines, also called marionette lines, are vertical creases that extend down from the mouth corners toward the chin. They resemble the carved lines around a marionette puppet’s mouth that allow it to open and close.
These wrinkles typically form due to natural aging processes like collagen/volume loss, gravity, and repeated facial expressions. Genetics, smoking, sun damage, and poor diet can also contribute. Puppet lines tend to become visible around ages 40-50 but may show up earlier.
At Bellava MedAesthetics, we offer several advanced treatments to minimize the appearance of existing puppet lines and help prevent their worsening, including:
- Strategically placed hyaluronic acid dermal fillers to subtly lift and smooth lines while restoring lost facial volume.
- Botox injections to relax the depressor anguli oris muscles that pull down the mouth corners.
- Resurfacing laser treatments to improve skin tone and texture.
- Radiofrequency microneedling to stimulate collagen.
- Surgical options like mid-face or neck lifts for severe cases.
How To Use Corner Mouth Marionette Lines Filler For Best Results?
At Bellava MedAesthetics, we follow specialized techniques for optimal placement of dermal fillers to treat marionette lines that extend down from the mouth corners:
- First, we thoroughly assess the depth and configuration of your lines to determine the best filler formula and injection approach.
More severely sunken areas may need a volumizing filler placed deeper, while minimal hollowing can be smoothed with a lightweight filler more superficially.
- We cleanse the area and apply a topical numbing cream beforehand for comfort. Some patients prefer an injectable anesthetic, especially for the lips.
Using a micro-cannula technique to minimize bruising, we strategically inject small amounts of filler along the creases from the mouth to the chin.
- For natural-looking results, we use multiple injection points rather than single deposits to ensure smooth, even filler integration. Hyaluronic acid fillers like Juvederm and Restylane are commonly used for their reversibility and low allergic potential.
We may also incorporate Botox to relax downward-pulling muscles or resurfacing lasers for further rejuvenation.
Following treatment, swelling subsides within a few days. Additional sessions can optimize outcomes. With our specialized expertise, we develop a customized filler treatment plan for subtly smoothing marionette lines and restoring a more youthful appearance.
Can Dermal Fillers For Eye Wrinkles Also Be Used Around The Mouth?
Yes, the same hyaluronic acid and Radiesse dermal fillers approved for eye wrinkles can effectively treat lines around the mouth. Fillers add volume under skin to fill facial folds. Hyaluronic acids offer temporary smoothing while Radiesse stimulates longer-term collagen.
When properly injected, side effects are typically minimal. For deep nasal folds and marionette lines, versatile hyaluronic acids like Juvederm work well. Softer gels integrate better into finer lip wrinkles.
Is It Normal To Have A Horizontal Crease Above The Upper Lip After Filler?
The horizontal crease above the upper lip after filler is typically caused by the lip being pushed up more severely when smiling, rather than directly by the filler itself.
A crease forms when smiling, due to the upper lip being pushed up more severely. It reveals a faint line that was already present but less visible before.
- More common in those with naturally fuller lips.
- Seen in about one-third of lip filler patients.
- Over-injection and over-filling of the upper lip area.
- Can worsen crease development due to natural aging/collagen loss.
Learn about Bellava MedAesthetics’ customized lip filler treatments featuring hyaluronic acid fillers. Book an appointment now!
Are dermal fillers for forehead wrinkles similar to those used for the mouth area?
Yes, hyaluronic acid fillers like Juvederm and Restylane can be used to treat moderate to severe wrinkles in both the forehead and mouth areas.
What are effective wrinkles around lips treatment options?
Effective treatments for wrinkles around the lips include laser resurfacing, dermal fillers, neuromodulators like Botox, microneedling, chemical peels, and skin care like retinoids.
How do best fillers for around the mouth compare in terms of results and longevity?
The best lip fillers like Juvederm Volbella and Restylane last 12 months, while more robust fillers like Juvederm Voluma for cheeks and temples can last up to 2 years.
Can creases around the mouth after lip filler be avoided?
Yes, creases around the mouth after lip filler can often be avoided by going to an experienced provider and not overfilling the lips during treatment.
What should I expect from “line above the lips” after filler?
Expect moderate swelling, redness, bruising, and tenderness for a few days after lip filler injections, which will resolve over 1-2 weeks to reveal smoothed lines above the lips.
What causes lines above lips after filler and how to prevent them?
Overfilled lips during injections can cause lines above the lips; going to an expert provider and using precise amounts of filler suited to your facial anatomy prevents these lines.