Comparing Lip Fillers and Lip Injections: Which is Right for You?
Luscious, plump lips are a coveted facial feature. If your pout could use some extra volume, you may be considering nonsurgical lip enhancement options.
But what’s better, lip fillers or lip injections?
Here at Bellava MedAesthetics, we’re asked this question often. Read on as we clarify the differences between these two popular treatments.
What is Lip Augmentation?
Thin lips can be genetically predetermined, but volume loss also occurs naturally with age as soft tissues atrophy. Lifestyle factors like smoking and sun exposure can further deplete lip fullness over time.
Dermal fillers and injections add youthful plumpness back to the lips and smooth out wrinkles by replacing lost volume. They can also enhance the overall shape and symmetry of your pout.
These minimally invasive procedures provide subtle lip enhancement using soft, flexible materials like hyaluronic acid fillers. When performed by our expert injectors at Bellava MedAesthetics, you’ll leave with a refreshed, enviable smile.
Lip Filler vs. Lip Injections
While the terms “lip filler” and “lip injections” are sometimes used interchangeably, there are a few key differences:
The main distinction is the type of material injected into the lips:
- Lip fillers specifically refer to hyaluronic acid dermal fillers like Juvederm Volbella and Restylane Silk.
- Lip injections use a variety of injectable substances like collagen stimulators and fat.
Hyaluronic acid fillers are the preferred method for most patients today thanks to their safety and natural-looking results.
Lip injections traditionally rely on a direct injection technique where the needle enters the lips. Lip fillers more commonly use a micro-cannula method to delicately deliver filler just under the surface.
Cannulas cause less swelling and bruising compared to traditional needles. Our expert injectors at Bellava MedAesthetics perform all lip enhancements using a gentle micro-cannula approach.
While lip injections can lift and volumize, hyaluronic acid lip fillers provide the most natural, smooth enhancement. Lip filler results get better over time as the material integrates with your tissues.
With lip injections like collagen, results are immediate but may not last as long. Fat transfers also tend to look overdone.
Hyaluronic acid fillers used in lip fillers have an outstanding safety record and are FDA approved. Other injectable substances may carry higher risks of allergic reaction, asymmetry or rejection.
This makes lip fillers the safer, more predictable option for beautifully enhanced lips with minimal downtime.
Benefits of Lip Fillers
At Bellava MedAesthetics, we exclusively use approved hyaluronic acid fillers like Juvederm and Restylane to add subtle volume to the lips. Below are some benefits of lip fillers:
- Natural looking results – Lip fillers provide smooth, even enhancement for lush lips.
- Non-invasive procedure – Only a topical numbing cream is needed for a comfortable experience.
- Minimal downtime – There may be temporary swelling and tenderness for a few days.
- Long-lasting effects – One treatment provides up to 1 year of plumpness.
- Safe materials – Hyaluronic acid has been safely used in fillers for decades.
- FDA approved – Lip fillers are rigorously tested for safety and efficacy.
- Reversible – Hyaluronic acid naturally breaks down over time.
- Customizable – Injections can target specific areas of the lips for your desired shape.
Lip Filler Procedure
Our expert nurse injectors carry out lip filler procedures gently and precisely. Here’s what you can expect:
- We numb the lips and mouth area with a topical anesthetic for maximum comfort.
- Using a micro-cannula, hyaluronic acid filler is carefully injected in small amounts to boost volume.
- The filler is strategically placed along the lip border and in the body of the lips to achieve an aesthetic enhancement.
- We may also add filler to smooth vertical lip lines and plump up lip corners.
- The procedure takes 15-30 minutes depending on how much filler is needed.
- We avoid overfilling so your results look and feel completely natural.
- A follow up appointment about two weeks later allows us to perfect your results.
With our superbly trained medical aesthetic injectors, your lip filler experience is easy and relaxing. We want you looking radiant and confident.
Recovery After Lip Fillers
Some temporary swelling, redness, bruising and tenderness are common following lip fillers but improve quickly. Here’s what to expect:
- Day 1 – Swelling increases and there may be some firmness or lumping which resolves. Ice packs help reduce swelling.
- Days 2-4 – Bruising around the mouth often peaks then starts lightening over the next few days.
- 1 Week – Swelling and bruising continue to fade. Lips start feeling softer.
- 2 Weeks – Most swelling is gone. Lips have a smooth, natural texture and shape.
- 1 Month – Optimal results are seen as filler integrates, and lips appear beautifully voluminous.
We provide each patient with detailed aftercare instructions for a comfortable recovery. Most return to normal routines after just 1-3 days.
FAQs About Lip Fillers
Below we answer some commonly asked questions about lip fillers:
How long do lip fillers last?
Most patients enjoy plump lips for 6-12 months after one syringe of filler. Touch ups every 9-12 months maintain volume.
Do lip fillers hurt?
A topical numbing cream keeps discomfort minimal during injections. Any pinching or stinging resolves quickly.
How much do lip fillers cost?
Pricing depends on how much filler is needed. One syringe averages $600-$800. Many factors affect the cost.
Can lip fillers be dissolved?
Yes, hyaluronidase breaks down hyaluronic acid fillers. Effects reverse gradually within 1-2 weeks.
Do men get lip fillers?
Yes. Subtle lip enhancement can make men look refreshed and more youthful.
Can I go to work after lip fillers?
Most patients take 1-3 days off work. After that, you can camouflage any lingering swelling with makeup.
How old do you have to be to get lip fillers?
The minimum age is 18 years old. Parental consent for minors may be required.
Do lip fillers change lip color?
No, but increased blood flow from injections can temporarily deepen lip color. This fades within a few days.
Experience Natural Looking Lip Enhancement
Whether you opt for lip fillers or other injections, the expert medical aesthetic injectors at Bellava MedAesthetics provide gorgeous, refined results. We listen to your unique goals and develop a personalized treatment plan.
Contact us today to schedule your lip augmentation consultation. We look forward to helping you achieve the perfect pout!