Age and Lip Enhancement: What You Should Know
Lip fillers are growing in popularity among younger generations seeking subtle lip enhancement. Here at Bellava MedAesthetics, we often receive questions about what age lip filler treatments can be performed. There are important guidelines to ensure safe, appropriate outcomes for younger patients.
Our board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Kim, along with our expert aestheticians and providers, establish treatment plans based on each patient’s unique maturity level, anatomy, and cosmetic goals.
We develop customized filler injection approaches to provide natural-looking results for those meeting our minimum age requirements.
Lip Filler Age Requirements and Limits
The FDA has approved certain dermal fillers for patients 18 years and older. However, most expert injectors set their own age limits and policies based on best medical practices and location.
What Age Can You Get Lip Fillers?
- Minimum age of 21 for initial lip filler treatments
- Teens ages 17-20 may be considered on a case-by-case basis with parental consent
- Patients under 17 are not treated with injectable fillers at our practice
These age thresholds allow us to ensure patients have adequate maturity to understand treatment implications and properly care for their lips post-injection. We prioritize safe, appropriate outcomes for every patient.
Key Factors in Setting Age Limits:
- Informed consent: Patients must fully comprehend potential risks and provide consent. Teens often lack adequate maturity in this area.
- Desire for subtle results: Younger patients commonly seek dramatic over-filling we avoid. We focus on subtle shaping for natural outcomes.
- Underdeveloped facial anatomy: Those under 21 are still developing and changing anatomically which can impact results.
- Emotional maturity: Teens experience fluctuating emotions and self-image. We avoid treatments during transitory phases.
- Parental involvement: Minors must have parental consent to meet legal and ethical requirements for treatment.
Our plastic surgeons have years of experience determining appropriate candidates based on extensive evaluations of physical and emotional maturity. Safety is always our top priority.
Benefits of an Initial Consultation
Patients interested in lip fillers will need to schedule a one-on-one consultation with our board-certified plastic surgeon prior to treatment. A comprehensive consultation visit offers many benefits:
- Thorough evaluation of your medical history, anatomy, skin quality, and overall health.
- Discussion of your cosmetic goals, concerns, and expectations. We provide realistic guidance on achievable outcomes.
- Review of all lip filler treatment options to determine which products would provide optimal results tailored to your needs.
- Simulation of possible results through digital imaging technology. This gives you a preview of how fillers may enhance your lips and balance facial proportions.
- Answers to all your questions so you can make a fully informed decision on whether to proceed with lip filler injections.
- Expert opinion on whether you meet the minimum age and maturity requirements for safe treatment.
Consultations are a critical first step to ensure you are an appropriate candidate and ready to achieve subtle, beautiful lip shaping.
Lip Filler Procedure for Younger Patients
If our plastic surgeon determines lip fillers are right for you after the consultation, here is how the treatment process unfolds:
- You will provide written consent to confirm your understanding of potential side effects and willingness to properly care for your lips post-injection.
- Topical numbing cream is applied for 15 minutes prior to injection for maximum comfort.
- Using a micro-needle, small microdroplets of FDA-approved filler are strategically injected to delicately enhance your natural lip shape and proportions. This conservative micro-droplet technique provides subtle augmentation suited for younger patients.
- Your lips will be gently massaged after injection to ensure the filler integrates smoothly and evenly within your lip tissue.
- We will schedule a follow-up visit 2-4 weeks later to check your results and see if any touch-up injections are desired to achieve your aesthetic goals. Additional treatments are generally needed 2-3 months apart for gradual, minor enhancement.
- You’ll be provided with aftercare instructions to follow which will include avoiding strenuous activity for 24 hours post-injection and using ice packs to control temporary swelling. We’ll also review proper methods for massaging your lips during recovery.
- Annual maintenance visits are recommended to sustain your refreshed, youthful lip appearance over time as fillers gradually dissipate.
When performed by an expert injector, lip fillers can be safe and effective for patients 21 and over seeking moderate enhancement. Contact our office to schedule your consultation.
Which Lip Fillers are Best for Younger Patients?
Here at Bellava MedAesthetics, we only use FDA-approved dermal fillers from reputable brands. For our younger lip filler patients, we prefer hyaluronic acid fillers which offer these advantages:
- Comprised of a natural hydrating substance already found within human skin. This makes HA fillers highly biocompatible.
- Provides a smooth, soft gel filler material that integrates seamlessly into lip tissue. Feels extremely natural.
- Adds subtle volume for gradual enhancement that appears smooth and graceful.
- Does not permanently alter lip anatomy. HA fillers dissipate over 6-12 months and are temporary.
- The injection process can be easily reversed using hyaluronidase enzymes if desired. This added peace of mind is unique to HA fillers.
Top HA Filler Choices Include:
Juvederm Volbella XC: Provides subtle lip smoothing and shaping. One of the safest options for younger patients seeking very moderate enhancement.
Restylane Kysse: Offers lightweight volume and a soft gel material that integrates beautifully into the lips.
Restylane Refyne: Flexible HA chains allow this filler to provide delicate enhancement, ideal for first-time patients.
We avoid thicker, more viscous fillers that provide intense volume. Our philosophy is “less is more” for younger lips. We focus on allowing your natural beauty to shine through.
FAQ About What Age Can You Get Lip Fillers
What’s the minimum age to receive lip fillers?
The minimum age is 21 at our practice. 17-20 year olds may be considered on an individual basis with parental consent. Those under 17 are advised to wait until fully matured.
Can I get lip fillers without my parents knowing if I’m under 18?
No, parental consent is required by law for any patient under 18 pursuing elective treatments like lip fillers. A parent must be present to provide written approval.
I’m 19 years old. Am I too young for subtle lip injections?
Maybe not. We’d need to consult directly to fully evaluate your anatomy, emotional maturity, and cosmetic goals.
I’m under 21. Can I get dramatic lip fillers for a plump look?
We advise against significant lip enhancement under 21. Subtle shaping is safer and more appropriate while facial structures continue developing.
What lip filler results can I expect at 18 years old?
With conservative injections, 18-21 year olds can achieve very mild shaping and smoothing. Outcomes are gradual and focus on accentuating natural beauty.
Is there an increased risk for teens getting lip fillers?
When performed by an expert, risks remain low. However, inadequate maturity levels in teens can impact post-procedure care and decision-making. We carefully screen candidates.
Will I need my parent’s approval every time I get lip filler touch-ups?
If you began treatments under 18, yes parental consent will be required at each appointment until you reach age 21.
We hope these FAQs help clarify our age requirements and approach to lip fillers for younger generations. Don’t hesitate to reach out with any other questions!