Managing Stubborn Lip Filler Lumps
Lip fillers offer a popular way to add volume, shape, and definition to the lips.
Here at Bellava MedAesthetics, we use advanced injection techniques to prevent lumps from forming. But minor bumps may still occasionally occur as the filler settles. Thankfully, knowing how to gently massage the area can smooth these away.
Our expert providers offer post-care instructions on properly massaging the lips following injections to help evenly distribute the filler for beautiful, natural-looking results.
What Causes Lumps After Lip Fillers?
Small lumps or bumps after receiving lip fillers are common and caused by:
- The filler settling unevenly during the healing process.
- Bruising causing some temporary swelling or firmness.
- The provider may have injected too much filler into one spot.
- Improper injection technique pushing filler too superficially.
- Inadequate lip massage by the patient during recovery.
Minor lumpiness is normal in the first few days following injections. With proper massage technique, these are easily smoothed away as swelling subsides. More significant lumps may require an experienced provider to massage out.
When to Start Massaging After Injections
Here are our recommendations on when to begin massage after lip filler treatment:
- Wait 12 hours after injections before massaging to allow the filler to properly settle within the tissues first.
- If large bumps are present, wait 2-3 days for the worst of the swelling to resolve before massaging. Starting too soon may worsen lumps.
- For smaller, subtler lumps, begin gently massaging the lips using light pressure starting 12 hours post-injection.
- Continue massaging 2-3 times daily for 5-7 days as lumpiness improves. Most resolve within this timeframe with proper technique.
- Contact our office if a large, painful lump lasts more than 2-3 days without improvement after self-massage. Additional evaluation and treatment may be required.
Starting massage too soon or using too much pressure can potentially further disperse filler into bumps. Allowing the product to fully set before massaging maximizes smoothing.
How to Massage Lip Filler Lumps at Home
Use these tips for safely and effectively massaging away lip filler bumps at home:
What You’ll Need for Massaging Lip Filler Lumps
- Lip balm or medical-grade silicone scar cream to use as a lubricant
- Clean hands or disposable gloves to avoid bacteria on the injection sites
- Hand sanitizer to sanitize your hands before and after
- Light source and magnifying mirror to clearly see the areas needing massage
Lip Filler Lumps Massage Technique
- Apply a thin layer of balm/cream over lips to prevent pulling at the skin.
- Gently run your clean index finger back-and-forth over the length of the lips, applying light pressure. Use your opposite hand to stabilize the opposite side of the mouth.
- After stroking the entire lip area, gently knead any remaining focal bumps using your index finger and thumb.
- Apply light pinching pressure to the borders of the lips between the index finger and thumb to smooth edges.
- Spend extra time massaging any palpable firmness, holding sustained pressure on bumps for 5-10 seconds to help break them down.
- Never vigorously rub, squeeze, or pinch the lips. Use a delicate touch. Massage for 5 minutes 2-3 times daily.
- View your lips closely under lighting to identify any focal bumps. Target these areas.
- Massage in the direction of the original filler injection pathway.
- Apply a warm compress for 5 minutes before massage to soften bumps.
- Ice the lips after massage to help reduce swelling and discomfort.
- Take an arnica supplement and use arnica gel on the lips to minimize bruising.
With a careful approach, at-home lip massage can smooth away almost all common bumps for beautiful results. Call us if you have any concerns.
When to Seek Provider Massage for Lip Filler Lumps
In most cases, patients can successfully massage away subtle lip filler lumps at home without issue. However, we recommend coming in for additional provider massage if:
- Large, painful lumps remain unchanged after 5-7 days of at-home massage.
- New bumps appear 1-2 weeks post-injection potentially due to product migration.
- The lump feels extremely hard/firm.
- The lump is visible or causing significant discomfort.
- Multiple bumps developed due to poor injection technique requiring professional correction.
- You experience continued swelling, redness, or bruising around a focal lump.
Our expert injectors can utilize advanced techniques to effectively break down and smooth stubborn areas of filler clumping. We may use:
- Hyaluronidase injections to gently dissolve the problem areas.
- Deep but delicate filler massage using micro-vibrations.
- Precise microneedling combined with massage to soften bumps.
- Laser or ultrasound treatment to break down trapped filler chunks.
- Conservative touch-up filler injection to camouflage any remaining nodularity.
With our specialized tools and skills, we can customize treatment for optimal resolution of lumpiness and the best aesthetic outcome.
Can Lip Massage Worsen Lumps?
While proper massage technique is very helpful for resolving bumps, incorrect massage can potentially worsen lumpiness in some cases by:
- Pressing filler deeper into tissues where it can bunch up.
- Dispersing filler laterally into new areas creating secondary lumps.
- Causing trauma like bruising or swelling which may firm up focal areas.
- Tearing delicate healing tissues or triggering an inflammatory reaction.
- Spreading bacteria if hands are not properly sanitized before massage.
To avoid these risks, use very light pressure focused only on the visible/palpable bumps. Never massage to the point of pain. Let us know promptly if any changes for the worse occur so we can correct them.
Results You Can Expect After Massage
When performed correctly, regular self-massage of lip filler bumps can produce:
- Complete smoothing of most small-to-moderate lumpiness within 5-7 days.
- Greatly reduced appearance of larger bumps that may fully resolve over 2-3 weeks.
- Possible mild swelling, redness, and tenderness for 1-2 days which then improves.
- More evenly distributed filler integration for beautiful, natural-looking lip enhancement.
- Prevention of future bumps or nodules with proper at-home massage after each treatment.
- Confidence to promptly treat any rare lumpiness that arises to maximize your results.
Be patient and committed to daily massage in the first week after injections for best outcomes. Avoid over-massaging which can cause other issues. With the proper technique, you can easily smooth bumps on your own.
FAQs About Lip Filler Massage
When should I start massaging my lips after filler?
Wait 12 hours post-injection before massaging to allow the filler to settle. Massage 2-3x daily for 5-7 days.
How long and often should I massage lumps after lip injections?
Massage for 5 minutes, 2-3 times a day for 5-7 days or until lumpiness fully resolves.
Will massaging my lips make the filler uneven?
When done correctly, massage helps evenly distribute filler. Use light pressure and focus just on lumps.
Should I massage lip filler lumps even if they hurt?
Use very light pressure on painful lumps. Massage gently around the edges. Stop if it worsens pain or swelling.
What if lumps get bigger after I massage my lips?
Some temporary swelling can occur. If major worsening happens, stop massaging and contact our office.
How long should lumps last after lip fillers?
Most resolve within 5-7 days with proper massage technique. If large bumps remain unchanged after 2 weeks, consult our injector.
We hope these tips empower you to smoothly massage away any rare bumps for beautiful, lump-free lips! Contact our office if you need any extra assistance.